Prep time: 15 min Cooking time: 1 hour
Olive oil spray
1-pound cubed butternut squash
10 ounces whole-wheat or whole-grain elbow pasta
1 1/2 cups low sodium vegetable broth, divided
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 Tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 medium shallot, minced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Chopped chives for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9” x 11” glass baking dish with oil and set aside.
2. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add squash and cook until tender, 5-6 minutes.
3. When fork tender, transfer squash with a slotted spoon to a blender.
4. Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions. When cooked, drain and put back into the pot.
5. Meanwhile, add 1/2 cup vegetable broth, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to the blender with the squash. Blend until smooth and creamy.
6. In a small bowl, combine breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Set aside.
7. Melt the butter in a medium sauce pot over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté for 2 minutes. Sprinkle the flour evenly over the shallots and cook for another minute.
8. Add the remaining broth and milk and whisk to combine. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes, whisking frequently.
9. Remove pot from heat and whisk in cheeses and pureed squash. Add sauce to noodles, gently mix to combine, then transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
10. Sprinkle with breadcrumb mixture and bake for 25 minutes. Turn oven to high broil and broil for 2-3 minutes, or until crumbs are starting to brown. Enjoy.
Photo credit: Skinny Taste. Recipe by https://www.skinnytaste.com.