Prep time: 10 min Cooking time: 40 min
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 large carrot, cut into rounds
1 large celery stalk, chopped
4 small baby red potatoes, diced
15 oz can navy beans, low-sodium, drained and rinsed
3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
2 cups water
1 cup green beans, ends trimmed and halved
1 yellow squash, diced
3/4 cup whole grain pasta (preferably elbows or rotini)
2 Tbsp lemon juice (optional)
Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Heat a large pot over medium. Add oil. Once heated, add onions and garlic to cook until the onion softens.
2. Add spices and herbs, cooking for another minute and stirring to avoid burning.
3. Add carrot, celery, potatoes, navy beans, broth, and water. Turn to medium-high heat and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender (about 25 minutes).
4. Add green beans, squash, and pasta. Simmer for 10 minutes, until pasta is tender.
5. Remove soup from heat and add lemon juice and red pepper flakes, if using.
6. Let soup cool before refrigerating.