Prep time: 10 min Cooking time: 35 min
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large carrot, chopped
1 medium celery stalk, finely chopped
1 cup brown lentils, dry
1 tsp dried thyme
1 cup tomato puree, unsalted
4 large potatoes, boiled and peeled (if desired)
1 cup green peas
3 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1. Slice potatoes in half and place in a large pot of water. Bring to a low boil. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, until fork tender. Once finished, drain water and add potatoes to a bowl.
2. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to potatoes. Season with 1/4 tsp of salt and black pepper. Mash well.
3. While potatoes are boiling, bring a sauté pan to medium heat. Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, garlic, and onions. Sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
4. Add lentils, broth, thyme, and tomato puree. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and let cook for about 30 minutes, until tender. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
5. Add carrots, celery, and green peas. Let simmer for about 10 more minutes. When finished, stir in another 1/4 tsp salt and pepper.
6. Lightly grease a baking dish with olive oil. Add lentil mixture, then gently layer the mashed potatoes over top. Bake 10-15 minutes until lightly browned on top.
7. Let cool before serving. You can freeze the leftovers and reheat in the future.